What is a weed? “What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Identify weeds first before selecting a control. VCE Prince William can help! Bring us a sample or send photos to our Extension Horticulture Help Desk 703-792-7747 or email@example.com Our office is located at 8033 Ashton Ave. Suite 105 Manassas 20109 and we are open weekdays 8 am – 5pm.
General weed control recommendations:
- Target when they are most susceptible
- Prevent weeds from taking over by mulching appropriately.
- A healthy turf is your best defense against weeds in the lawn
- Choose weed free seed
- Hand pull weeds before they produce seeds.
- Limit foot traffic, compaction—core aerate
- Provide proper irrigation to actively growing plants.
- Soil test-Proper pH, lime, nutrients
- Use proper mowing heights to shade out weeds
- Use chemicals as a last resort and select chemical based on proper weed identification and where the weed is located
- READ LABEL CLOSELY for proper application, timing and reapplication requirements
- If a weed is particularly aggressive suspect an invasive plant. Invasive plants require a higher level of control. Check with us for recommendations.
- Avoid applying pesticides of any kind while bees are actively foraging on/around target weeds.