What is a weed? “What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Identify weeds first before selecting a control. VCE Prince William can help!
Bring us a sample of the weed or send photos to our Extension Horticulture Help Desk. Mondays and Tuesdays are the best days to bring in samples; hours are 8 am – 5pm at 8033 Ashton Ave, Suite 105, Manassas, 20109. Please call (703) 792-7747 or email firstname.lastname@example.org before bringing in a plant or insect so that we may make best use of your time.
General weed control recommendations
- Prevent weeds from taking over by mulching appropriate
- A healthy turf is your best defense against weeds in the lawn
- Choose weed-free seed
- Hand pull weeds before they produce seeds.
- Limit foot traffic to avoid compaction and core aerate
- Provide proper irrigation to actively growing plants
- Soil test to identify proper pH, lime, and nutrients
- Use proper mowing heights to shade out weeds
- Use chemicals as a last resort; select chemical based on proper weed identification and where the weed is located
- READ LABEL CLOSELY for proper application, timing and reapplication requirements
- If a weed is particularly aggressive, then suspect an invasive plant. Invasive plants require a higher level of control
- Check with us if there are bees foraging before using any chemical treatment.